We want to help you maintain your new smile for a lifetime, so we developed SmileShield to protect it.
- Instead of an impression (the goopy tray of material for a mold of your teeth), now we take a 3D scan of your teeth with the braces still on.
- From this 3D scan, we can digitally remove your braces and print a model of your new, straight teeth with no braces (all before we have taken your braces off!)
- Unlike a traditional stone model, the printed plastic model does not break when we make a retainer. This allows us to make you two retainers and also give you your plastic model.
- If you lose or break a retainer, you can bring the model to us, and we can make a new retainer off of the same model.
- This change allows us to increase your comfort, save time for you, and reduce the cost of replacement retainers!
- This is all included in the cost of treatment. There is no additional charge for this. The only time there are additional charges is when you need a replacement for a lost or broken retainer.
Follow these simple instructions to maintain your confident smile!
Unless we specifically tell you otherwise, wear your retainers full time. You may remove them to eat, and to brush. Do not wear them when swimming, or playing contact sports.
We won’t see you as often anymore, and that makes us a little sad! But, not nearly as sad as when you don’t bring your retainer to your visit. We need to see you with your retainer to check how it is fitting.
Keep your retainer case with you. When you remove your retainers, keep them protected by placing them in your case. Replacements are expensive!
If you notice that your retainer is not fitting properly, or is cracked or broken, call us to schedule an appointment as soon as possible.
Clean retainers thoroughly twice per day with a toothbrush, soap and water. This removes plaque and eliminates odors, and it’s more effective than cleaning with toothpaste.
At first it may be difficult to speak while wearing retainers. Practice makes perfect! Try speaking, reading, or singing (even in the shower) out loud with retainers in place to get used to them quickly.
If retainers are lost or broken, call us immediately. If you aren’t wearing retainers, your teeth will move quickly.
Retainers will warp and break easily. Keep your retainers away from hot water, hot cars, your pockets, the washing machine, the dishwasher, dryers, napkins, and pets (dogs love them!) Treat them with the best of care, and they will last!
Schedule your complimentary evaluation.